Blog Navigation

SELECT Older Posts BUTTON AT BOTTOM OF PAGE TO SEE MANY MORE PHOTOS OR EXPAND BLOG ARCHIVE TREE TO RIGHT.

Please also vist my global photography website at: www.rdyoungphotos.com

Friday, March 18, 2011

Saigon waterways

This aerial slide that I scanned simply had “near Saigon - 1972” written on it … made me wonder exactly where.  Given the distinctive meandering ox-bow river formations, I figured I could easily locate the place on current maps. Probably butchered these names, but it looks like photo taken south of Bien Hoa, looking to the South where the Song Dong Nai and Hha Be Rivers meet. Interesting that the current 2011 Google Satellite map shows that the river island in this 40 year-old photo has been breached at the narrow point … splitting it in two. Having some geology background this is a natural occurrence for meandering rivers. Off to the southwest would have been Saigon. I assume our C-130 was about to turn right (to the west) for a final approach into Tan Son Nhut Airbase, Saigon.

No comments:

Post a Comment